Tuesday 29 October 2013

Keep calm and read a book!

Since I was a little kid, I have considered myself as a “book worm”. As the year passed, I have deduced that me being a book lover was a direct result from one of the first “big” books that I read: Matilda, from Roald Dahl. If you are not familiar with this tittle (or haven’t watch the movie either), it’s about a little girl who was a book worm and because of that, she was very advanced for his age in the school. But the cool part –maybe what inspired me to read so much- was that she developed sort of a mental power that allowed her to move things at will.

A long the years I have developed a taste for a wide range of literature, reading mostly novels. I would say that my favorite topics are: detective/police/thriller/a-killer-in-on-the-loose-run-for-your-life (like Agatha Christie, P.D. James, Jeffrey Archer and Jonathan Santlofer); historical novels (Pearl S. Buck); travels and adventures (George R.R. Martin); and well, as a girl, romances -but the Jane Austen’s, not the one of Corin Tellado- and girlie comedy (Meg Cabot). Aside of the authors I named above, I should add Alexander Dumas, as one of my favorites with his master piece “The Count of Monte-Cristo”.

With the University and all I have to read for it, I haven’t had too much time to read new novels (even when I keep buying and piling new ones). So now I’m just rereading “Pride and Prejudice”, but this time I’m doing it in English (the first time was in spanish). If you are not familiar with the plot, you are in great danger of get very embarrass in public, ‘cause this novel is a classic (not just in romances, but in English literature). In a few word the story line goes like this: There is the Bennet family, with five daughters and a mother who is desperate to marry all of them. Then, one day comes to the village a rich man, Mr. Bingley, with his even richer friend, the proud Mr. Darcy. While the first one fell for the elder Bennet sister, Darcy meets the second daughter; Elizabeth (Keira Knightley in the 2005 film). Here they begin a game of hate, pride and prejudice, which ends (spoiler alert!) in these two character falling in love. This is a very good book, especially if you are longing for a very well written, but at the same time, sweet love story.

Just as a final word, I must add that books are not just to learn about something, but is a way to lead you imagination fly and travel to places that you just can dream of. For the same reason I support (and invite you to do the same) the campaign “libro sin IVA” (http://www.librossiniva.cl/).


Cheers! :)

2 comments:

  1. Maybe when I have time I'll start reading the Game of Thrones series

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will read "Pride and Prejudice" sometime :D yes, I haven't read it yet :D
    See ya!

    ReplyDelete